- To offer instruction by top scholars in linguistics for the primary development and “upgrading” of scientific knowledge about language
- To extend the scope and depth of research abilities in linguistics for graduate participants, undergraduate participants, college and university faculty, and research scientists from the public sector
- To provide opportunities for linguists to study new methods and theories that have special bearing on linguistics
- To furnish training and networking opportunities for individuals who are or who expect to become practicing linguists
- To create an environment that facilitates the exchange of ideas and advancement of the field and that promotes collaboration across disciplinary and institutional boundaries.